Highlights include 150-day historical content series, commemorative gameday giveaways, a 150th anniversary merchandise line and more, presented by WeatherTech
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club, in collaboration with the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, Hamilton Public Library, Tiger-Cats Alumni Association and Canadian Football League Alumni Association, have announced the team’s plans, presented by WeatherTech, to commemorate the 150th anniversary of football in Hamilton during the 2019 season. The season-long campaign commences today which marks exactly 150 days until the 150th anniversary of the birth of the franchise.
Considered one of the original birth places of gridiron football, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats can trace its lineage back to 1869 – only two years after the formation of Canada as a country – when the franchise was formed on November 3 on the second floor of George Lee’s Fruit Stand in Downtown Hamilton. This remarkable 150-year-old story makes the Tiger-Cats one of the oldest continuing professional sports franchises in any sport on any continent. It means the Tiger-Cats are the oldest gridiron football team anywhere – more than 20 years older than the oldest team in the National Football League in the United States.
“One of the fun things about the Tiger-Cats long history is the remarkable amount of innovation it documents which is evident on both the business and football sides of the organization,” said Bob Young, Caretaker of the Tiger-Cats. “The business has evolved from a true start-up above a grocery store to today’s established national brand operating out of state of the art Tim Hortons Field. The game has evolved from an exclusively running and blocking game to today’s wildly entertaining and highly sophisticated run and shoot offenses. In honour of our 150th anniversary, we are excited to bring this ongoing history of innovation to our fans across the country and around the world.”
Over the course of this season, the Tiger-Cats will tell the fun stories that have occurred over the long history of Canadian gridiron football in Hamilton through a variety of digital/social media and gameday initiatives, beginning at this evening’s preseason game at Tim Hortons Field.
In celebration of the milestone season, the Tiger-Cats have developed a 150th anniversary brand, presented by WeatherTech, to anchor the program. The 150 logo will be featured throughout the season on merchandise and giveaway items.
For a complete write-up of the history of the franchise, please click HERE.
150th Anniversary Program Pillars
Historical 150-day content series:
- 150 consecutive days of historical moments and photos & videos from team archives, posted daily on social media and Ticats.ca, from June 6 until November 3
- Themed 150th anniversary video features played during halftime, pre-released exclusively to Ticats All Access members in advance of each home game
Commemorative gameday giveaways and events:
- Home Opener | Thursday, June 13 vs. Saskatchewan at 7:30 p.m.
- 5,000 150th anniversary commemorative coins, courtesy of FirstOntario Credit Union
- Family Day | Saturday, July 13 vs. Calgary at 7 p.m.
- 3,000 retro jersey lunch bags, courtesy of Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers
- Hall of Fame Game | Saturday, August 10 vs. B.C. at 7 p.m.
- 5,000 150th anniversary car flags, courtesy of My Insurance Broker
- Wall of Honour Game & ’99 Grey Cup Team Reunion | Friday, October 4 vs. Edmonton at 7 p.m.
- 2,500 Rob Hitchcock Wall of Honour jersey towels
- 150th Anniversary Celebration Game | Saturday, November 2 vs. Toronto at 7 p.m.
- 5,000 retro bobbleheads, courtesy of WeatherTech
150th anniversary merchandise line:
- Featuring an exclusive line of 150th anniversary New Era caps and vintage graphic t-shirts, the merchandise line will celebrate moments in Hamilton Football history
To view the Tiger-Cats full 2019 gameday promotional schedule, please click HERE.
Tiger-Cats single game tickets are on sale now starting at $29 per game. Customizable three game flex packs and promo offers, including a Father’s Day and craft beer sampling ticket pack, are also available at Ticats.ca/tickets.
Additionally, in conjunction with the 2021 Hamilton Grey Cup stadium experience announcement last week, fans can take advantage of The Caretaker’s Commitment until June 12. The only way to guarantee your 2021 Grey Cup tickets in 2019 is to become a season seat holder! Visit Ticats.ca/GreyCup for more details, including info on cash back incentives and a comprehensive list of season seat holder benefits.